Friday 30 July 2010

Ten Top Things to See, Do and Eat

We started off our blog by identifying the things we were most looking forward to in Japan. I was really nervous about the trip because I had dreamed about going to Japan for such a long time and I was a little afraid that I might be disappointed.
Was I disappointed? - Not one bit, in fact my expectations were surpassed. What an amazing country - we have only had a glimpse of its landscapes, shrines, temples, markets, homes, transport, culture. The thing that impressed me most was the people - everyone we met was friendly, welcoming and helpful. People are obviously proud of their country, culture and heritage.
Would I go back? - In an instant! Hokkaido in winter, south island beaches, monkeys - there is still so much to see.

Top Ten
As you can see this is closest I got to posing with Minnie Mouse wearing a kimono! However we visited Tokyo Disneyland during the festival of Tanabata and Minnie and mickey were dressed accordingly so not bad!
Feeding tame deer - well I certainly got to feed some deer - how tame they were is debatable!
Ringing the Peace Bell - hope it keeps ringing - one day maybe we'll listen.
Staying in a ryokan - what can I say, this was a brilliant experience. I felt like an empress, we were really well looked after and had the ultimate Japanese eating experience.
Mt Fuji - remained shrouded in mist but we did catch a glimpse from the train. The volcano experience was great.
Bento box - yes and quite a posh one too.
Stone samurai - well worth the effort of seeking them out.
Maiko - not only did we see maikos, we saw lots of people, men and women wearing their summer yukatas.
BUYING JAPANESE THINGS - OH YES!
Eating - this was a mixed bag - from the carefully prepared meals at the ryokan, remember the abalone - the wonderful vegetarian meals in the temple, meals cooked before our eyes in lively bars, street food stolen by marauding deer to wasabi peas - this was an amazing experience.

You'll remember that I didn't want to meet Godzilla - well thankfully I didn't.
I didn't want to see bears in pits - I didn't. Did see puppies in pet shops - not good - we hope they will be liberated soon.
I didn't want to eat octopus - well actually I did - I was unaware of what it was at the time but have to admit it was good! I also tried eel - cooked- very adventurous, sniffed suspiciously at abalone. On the whole I surprised myself and tried quite a few things I didn't think I would - so eating was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment